Special Educational Needs

Click the link above for access to the school's accessibility plan. 

Special Educational Needs

Mrs Debra Stockdale is the SENDCO at our school and Mrs Paula Street is the assistant SENDCO, both can be contacted via the school office (0191 5210055, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.).



All Sunderland Local Authority (LA) maintained schools have a similar approach to meeting the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and /or disabilities and are supported by the LA to ensure that all pupils, regardless of their specific needs, make the best possible progress in school. 

All schools are supported to be as inclusive as possible, with the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) being met in a mainstream setting wherever possible. If you have any queries about admission arrangements please see our admissions policy.

The broad areas of SEND need are:

  • Communication and Interaction.
  • Cognition and Learning.
  • Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties.
  • Sensory and/or Physical.

What is the Local Offer?

The Local Authority Local Offer

The Children and Families Bill was enacted in September 2014. From this date Local Authorities (LA) and schools are required to publish and keep under review information about services they expect to be available for children and young people with special educational needs (SEN) aged 0-25. The LA refer to this as the 'Local Offer'.  The information required is published below.

The intention of the Local Offer is to improve choice and transparency for families. It will also be an important resource for parents in understanding the range of services and provision in the local area.

What is the Special Education Needs Information Report?

Click on this link to view the LA local offer https://sunderland.fsd.org.uk/kb5/sunderland/directory/home.page

The Special Education Needs Information Report - updated September 2018

Schools utilise the LA Local Offer to meet the needs of SEND pupils as determined by school policy and the provision that the school is able to provide. Schools refer to this as 'The Special Education Needs Information Report. 

St. Paul's CE Primary is committed to the education of all pupils. In line with the school's equal opportunity policy and equality duty, we will ensure that any pupil identified as having a SEND will not be treated less favourably and will be well supported in order to achieve.  The ways in which we do this, are outlined below. 

Question 1 Who are the best people to talk to in this school about my child's difficulties with learning/ Special Educational Needs or disability (SEND)?

The Class teacher

Responsible for:

  • Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be things like targeted work, additional support) and letting the Special Education Needs Coordinator (SENDCo) know as necessary.
  • Writing Pupil Progress targets/ Individual Action Plans (IAPs), and sharing and reviewing these with parents at least once each term and planning for the next term. Personalised teaching and learning for your child as identified on school's provision map.
  • Ensuring that the school's SEND Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any SEND.

The Learning Support Assistant in your child's class:

  • Liaising with the teacher to monitor progress
  • Implementing planning and activities provided by the class teacher
  • Reporting back to the class teacher about the child they are working with

The SENDCo - name: Mrs D. Stockdale

Responsible for:

  • Developing and reviewing the school's SEND policy
  • Coordinating all the support for children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND)
  • Ensuring that you are

           i) involved in supporting your child's learning

            ii) kept informed about the support your child is getting

            iii) involved in reviewing how they are doing.

  • Liaising with all the other people who may be coming into to school to help support your child's learning e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology etc.
  • Updating the school's SEND register (a system for ensuring that all the SEND needs of pupils in this school are known) and making sure that records of your child's progress and needs are kept.
  • Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school so that they can help children with SEND in the school to achieve the best progress possible.

The Headteacher - name: Mrs L Quinn-Briton (Acting)

Responsible for:

  • The day to day management of all aspects of the school, this includes the support for children with SEND.
  • The Headteacher will give responsibility to the SENDCo and class teachers, but is still responsible for ensuring that your child's needs are met.
  • The Headteacher must make sure that the Governing Body is kept up to date about issues relating to SEND.

The SEND Governor - name: Mrs S. Hart

Responsible for:

  • Making sure that the necessary support is given for any child who attends the school, who has SEND.
  • Liaising with school on a regular basis to ensure that she is aware of the SEN processes and systems that Mrs Stockdale has implemented.

School contact telephone number 0191 5210055

Question 2 What are the different types of support available for children with SEND in our school?

a) Class teacher input via excellent targeted classroom teaching (Quality First Teaching).

For your child this would mean:

  • That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
  • That all teaching is built on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
  • Different ways of teaching are in place so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning.
  • Specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENDCo) are in place to support your child to learn.
  • Your child's teacher will have carefully checked on your child's progress and will have decided that your child has a gap or gaps in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress:

·         Specific group work - Intervention which may be:

  • Run in the classroom or outside.
  • Run by a teacher or a Learning Support Assistant (LSA).

b) Specialist groups run by outside agencies e.g. Speech and Language therapy

This means they have been identified by the SENDCo / class teacher as needing some extra specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from:

  • Local Authority central services such as the ASD Outreach Team or Sensory Service (for students with a hearing or visual need)
  • Outside agencies such as the Education Psychology Service (EPS).

What could happen:

You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional e.g. a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and yourself understand your child's particular needs better and be able to support them better in school.

The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations as to the ways your child is given support.

c) Specified Individual support

This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are severe, complex and lifelong.

This is usually provided via a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). This means your child will have been identified by professionals as needing a particularly high level of individual or small group teaching.

This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups ("Including All Children" documentation from LA).

Your child will also need specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from:

Local Authority central services such as the ASD Outreach Team or Sensory Service (for students with a hearing or visual need)

Outside agencies such as the Speech and Language therapy (SALT) Service

For your child this would mean:

  • The school (or you) can request that Local Authority Services carry out a statutory assessment of your child's needs. This is a legal process which sets out the amount of support that will be provided for your child.
  • After the request has been made to the 'Panel of Professionals' (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), they will decide whether they think your child's needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment. If this is the case they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child's needs. If they do not thin k your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the current support.
  • After the reports have all been sent in, the 'Panel of Professionals' will decide if your child's needs are severe, complex and lifelong. If this is the case they will write a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP). If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with the current level of support and also set up a meeting in school to ensure a plan is in place to ensure your child makes as much progress as possible.
  • The Statement or EHC Plan will outline the number of hours of individual/small group support your child will receive from the LA and how the support should be used and what strategies must be put in place. It will also have long and short-term goals for your child.
  • The additional adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes or run small groups including your child.

You and your child will be regularly consulted about your views on your child’s needs.

Question 3 How can I let the school know I am concerned about my child's progress in school?

If you have concerns about your child's progress you should speak to your child's class teacher initially.

If you continue to be concerned that your child is not making progress, you may speak to

  • Special Education Needs Coordinator (SENDCo) Mrs Stockdale
  • Acting Headteacher Mrs Quinn-Briton
  • Acting Deputy Headteacher Mrs Graham

Question 4 How will the school let me know if they have any concerns about my child's learning in school?

A child is considered to have Special Educational Needs if he/she has a learning difficulty which calls for Special Educational Provision made for him/her. 

Children have a learning difficulty if they

  • Have a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of children of the same age or
  • Have a disability which prevents or hinders them from making use of educational facilities of a kind general y provide.

Children’s needs and requirements may fall into at least one of these areas. They will have a varying degree of impact upon the child’s ability to function, learn and succeed.

  • Communication and Interaction.
  • Cognition and Learning.
  • Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties.
  • Sensory and/or Physical.

If your child is identified as not making progress, the school will set up a meeting to discuss this with you in more detail and to:

  • listen to any concerns you may have
  • plan any additional support your child may need
  • discuss with you any referrals to outside professionals to support your child's learning
  • arrange further routine parental consultations
  • host termly SEN reviews

Question 5 How is extra support allocated to children and how do they progress in their learning?

The school budget, received from Sunderland LA, includes money for supporting children with SEND.

  • The Headteacher decides on the deployment of resources for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities in consultation with the school governors, on the basis of needs in the school.
  • The Headteacher and the SENDCo discuss all the information they have about SEND in the school, including:

the children getting extra support already

the children needing extra support

the children who have been identified as not making as much progress as would be expected and decide what resources/training and support is needed.

  • Schools identify the needs of their pupils on a school provision map.

Question 6 Who are the other people providing services to children with SEND in this school?

School provision

  • Learning Support Assistants
  • Attendance Officer

Local Authority Provision delivered in school

  • Autism Outreach Service
  • Educational Psychology Service
  • Sensory Service for children with visual or hearing needs
  • Parent Partnership Service
  • Language and Learning

Health Provision delivered in school

  • Speech and Language Therapy
  • School Nurse
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Physiotherapy
  • CAMHs

Or any other specialist professional who would enable us to support your child.

Question 7 What professional development do teachers have to help children who have been identified as having a Special Educational Need?

The SENDCO'S job is to support the class teacher in planning for children with SEND.

  • The school provides training and support to enable all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children, including those with SEND. This includes whole school training on SEND issues such as Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
  • Individual teachers and support staff attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class e.g. from the Autism Outreach Team (AoT) service.
  • Whole school professional development as needed i.e. diabetes training, administering epi-pens etc.

Question 8 How will the teaching be adapted for my child with SEND?

Class Teachers plan lessons according to the specific needs of all groups of children in their class, and will ensure that your child's needs are met.

  • Support staff, under the direction of the class teacher, can adapt planning to support the needs of your child where necessary.
  • Specific resources and strategies will be used to support your child individually and in groups.
  • Planning and teaching will be adapted on a daily basis if needed to meet your child's learning needs.

Question 9 How will we measure the progress of your child in school?

  • Your child's progress is continually monitored by his/her class teacher.
    • His/her progress is reviewed formally every half term in reading, writing and numeracy.
    • Children in Year 1 (and sometimes Year 2) complete a national phonics screening test in June.
    • For children in Y2 to Y6, a standardised measure of assessment will be used as appropriate.
    • PIVATS assessment tool may be used for children from end of Reception to Year 6 if other assessments are too expansive to show progress.
    • At the end of each key stage (end of Reception, year 2 and year 6) all children are required to be formally assessed using the EYFS profile or Standard Assessment Tests (SATS). This is something the government requires all schools to do and are the results that are published nationally.
    • Children may have an Individual Action Plan, which will be reviewed, and a future plan made.
    • The progress of children with a EHC Plan is formally reviewed at an Annual Review, with all adults involved with the child's education.
    • The SENDCo will also check that your child is making good progress within any individual work and in any group that they take part in.

Question 10 What support do we have for you as a parent of a child with a SEND?

The class teacher is regularly available to discuss your child's progress or any concerns you may have and to share information about what is working well at home and school so similar strategies can be used.

  • The SENDCo is available to meet with you to discuss your child's progress or any concerns/worries you may have.
  • All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you with the person involved directly, or where this is not possible, in a report.
  • School will host regular multi-professional meetings.
  • Personal progress targets may be reviewed with your involvement.
  • Homework will be adjusted as needed to your child's individual needs.
  • A home/school contact book may be used to support communication with you, when this has been agreed to be useful for you and your child.

Question 11 How is St Paul's Primary School accessible to children with SEND?

  • The school building is on one level and was built in 2001 in line with the DDA (Disability and Discrimination Act).
  • There are no internal or external steps.
  • School has a wheelchair accessible toilet
  • School has a medical room complete with bed
  • Designated and fully trained staff to administer medicine
  • Designated First Aid trained staff.
  • We ensure, wherever possible, that equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs.
  • After school provision is accessible to all children including those with SEND.
  • Extra curricular activities are accessible for children with SEND

Question 12 How will we support your child when they are leaving this school? OR moving on to another class?

We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEND and take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible.

If your child is moving child to another school:

  • We will contact the school SENDCO and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child.
  • We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.
  • We encourage visits to your child's new school and where possible a member of staff will visit the new setting with you and your child.

When moving classes in school:

  • Whole school transition procedure to ensure that information is passed on to the new class teacher in advance and in most cases, a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher.
  • IAPs will be shared with the new teacher.
  • Whole school transition day so that pupils can spend time in their new classroom with their new staff.
  • If your child would be helped by a book to support them understand moving on then it will be made for them.
  • Transition night for parents so they can meet the next teacher and see their child's new classroom

In Year 6:

  • The SENDCO will discuss the specific needs of your child with the SENDCO of their proposed secondary school.
  • Secondary school staff will be invited to pupil reviews in late Y6 if required.
  • Your child will do focused learning about aspects of transition to support their understanding of the changes ahead.
  • Where possible your child will visit their new school on several occasions, with additional visits being arranged for vulnerable pupils, and in some cases staff from the new school will visit your child in this school.

Question 13 What Emotional and Social Development support we have for a child with a SEND?

We recognise that pupils with SEND may well have an Emotional and Social Developmental need that may require support in school.

• The Emotional Health and Well-being of all our pupils is very important to us.  Some of our staff have undertaken the child mental helath training.

• We have a robust Safeguarding Policy in place, we follow National & LA Guidelines.

• The Headteacher, Deputy Head teacher and all staff continually monitor the Emotional Health and Well-being of all our pupils.

• We are an Anti-bullying school and hold the GOLD anti bullying charter mark. [re accredited Sept 2017]

Special Educational Report


St Paul's school welcomes all children in the community.  We ensure that all children have the same opportunity to fulfil their potential in line with our Mission Statement, and to participate in all areas of school life, including access to the National Curriculum.  St Paul's school takes its duties to children with SEN and disabilities very seriously, takes all reasonable steps to give them the fullest possible access to premises and the curriculum.  The school has adopted plans, which are renewed annually by governors, for progressively increasing access to the school for disabled pupils.  These include physical improvements and changes to policies and practices where these are appropriate and possible.


The person responsible for co-ordinating the day-to-day provision of education for pupils with SEN is the Head Teacher, who can be contacted at the school.


The school supports children with SEN in a number of ways by:

  • Employing additional support staff to help children with SEN.
  • Screening each class to identify children with SEN and reviewing their needs and programmes of learning each term.
  • Setting targets for each child and discussing them with the SENCO so that individual progress is monitored.
  • Providing specialist resources where possible and appropriate.
  • Bringing in specialist support as appropriate.
  • Involving other agencies as appropriate.
  • Involving parents of children identified as having SEN as much as possible including inviting them to regular reviews.
  • Providing in-service training for school staff to ensure good support for pupils with SEN.
  • Using the Behaviour Improvement Programme to support and encourage good behaviour in school.
  • Ensuring the designated governor for SEN has regular contact with the staff responsible for co-ordinating provision at the school, thereby ensuring the monitoring and evaluation processes are reviewed regularly.
    Should you have any comments about the provision of Special Educational Needs, please direct these, in the first instance, to the Headteacher.